There isn’t a quick fix when it comes to drug addiction. It takes time, energy, and dedication to fully recover from addiction. Detoxification is necessary because it helps rid the drugs from your body, so you have a chance to recover, but that is only the first step of many in recovery.
Continuum of care is a phrase that refers to people needing a detailed plan outlining their recovery journey to help them follow through and succeed. People are monitored and given direction as they go through the various stages of recovery. They will use the skills they have learned throughout the journey.
Everyone should have a different care plan because everyone’s situation is different. Treatment plans consider all part of a person’s life. This includes any traumas they may have gone through or current situations. It is also important if they have co-occurring mental disorders like anxiety or depression to go along with their addiction. That changes treatment.
Goals To Have
Your care plan will have all the goals you decide to pursue throughout your recovery. Some of these goals can include:
– Renting an apartment or home and living without others.
– Going back to work or finding a new job.
– Going back to school or starting it.
– Fixing your relationships with friends and family.
– Being more involved and active as a parent.
– Becoming more involved in your community.
There might even be steps in your plan to develop essential skills. These can include coping with your cravings, handling stress, managing your triggers or establishing a strong support system.
Some Services Included
Recommended services to go with your care plan:
– Residential Treatment
– Outpatient Treatment to keep up your skills learned in your stay at residential treatment.
– Intensive outpatient programs to give stronger counseling and is in-between residential or outpatient.
– Sober living homes where people in recovery live together. It involves outpatient care and strict rules to help those who aren’t great at ruling themselves.
– Going to 12-step groups that are in their city.
– Online recovery programs and education.
A Roadmap To Your Recovery
Some general steps to follow in your care plan:
– Assessment: The team dedicated to your treatment decides what needs to be done and identify risks to your care.
– Treatment Plan: Designed to meet your specific needs for care and success.
– Treatment: Most treatment includes detox, counseling, and other care meant to build skills for long term recovery.
– Evaluation: Talk to counselors and see how well the process has been working for you so far. This means you need to stop your old behaviors and work on developing new ones that work for you.
– Case Management: Developing a plan for your care over time and what you’ll do after, such as sober living homes.
– Extended Care: This may be necessary for some people to help their transition along back to normal life.
– Monitoring: Once you get to this stage you should have enough skills to get you started on the right path, but you still need to check in.