by Stephen A. Cambre
The choices we will make on November 6th are much larger than a president. This election is about the American idea. The idea of whether or not a free people can govern itself. America will survive this election, but will our Republic survive?
Over the past century the progressive movement has slowly and deliberately worked to subvert both our civil society and our institutions of government to consolidate power and to transform our country from one of a civil society of responsible individuals pursuing their dreams to one consisting of a collective group doing their duties for the betterment of some utopian society progressives will not and cannot define.
The experimentation with social collectivism in this country goes back to its beginnings. From the Mayflower Compact to New Harmony to Fruitland to the communes of the 1960’s, collectivism has been tried and in every case it has failed.
Emboldened by the socialist movements in Europe and with the election of Woodrow Wilson the progressives achieved a national platform to once again experiment with their latest vision for social collectivism. This platform was the Democrat Party and the idea that our Constitution is a “living document” and not a document of limits was born and began its destructive advance.
Progressives began consolidating their control of the Democrat party by using the crisis of the Great Depression and began the expansion of government into the lives of the individuals. By using the non-existing powers dreamed up in the new living document the creation of the bureaucratic state began in earnest.
A radical change in the strategy of the progressive movement began in the 1960’s. Using the unrest of the anti-war movement progressives built upon the Social Security act to trap more people into dependency by creating Medicare and Medicaid. These three programs, despite the names and claims, serves one central purpose; make the people feel entitled to the largess of the treasury. The party that controls the treasury controls the people. Progressives also changed from protesting the system and its institutions to transforming them from the inside to be the means to their ends.
All of these programs are nearing insolvency because they were created under the false premise that they were paying into an insurance programs. Nothing could be further from the truth. These programs are nothing more than a general tax with a promise. The funds were spent, as are all funds collected, therefore, in order to pay for the promises they borrow and issue more promises. They issue treasury IOU’s which are nothing more than the promise that our future generations will pay the bill with the taxes on their future earnings.
The current slogan for the progressives is “Forward”. Let’s take a moment and look at only a few of items they have given us in their march forward.
– The 16th amendment which gave them/government the ability to take whatever percentage of our labor they deem necessary to fund whatever they deem necessary.
– The 17th amendment which fundamentally changed our structure of government by severely weakening the power and sovereignty of the States making it much easier to push through the progressive agenda of concentrating power.
– The Federal Reserve System which transformed a currency backed by hard assets (precious metals) to one backed only by the full faith and credit of the government. Full faith and credit means only that those in government promise with the authority given to itself by the 16th amendment will take whatever is needed through taxation. When the value of our currency is based only on a promise it leads to massive spending by borrowing against future tax receipts.
– Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, the crown jewels of the progressive movement, if not reformed will bankrupt this nation. The combined cost of these programs is estimated to be around 100 trillion dollars.
– “Affordable Health Care Act”. As soon as the progressives arrested full control of the Democrat Party and both the executive and legislative branches of government, they forced this act down our throats. Why? Control of the individuals health is the Holy Grail for progressives. They know that under the umbrella of healthcare and its cost they can regulate virtually every aspect of life. Every action can be said to affect ones health.
– The Bureaucratic State: This is the unaccountable authority that was created to be the means by which the people of this nation are being dictated to and plundered of its wealth. Its tentacles extend to virtually every aspect of life. We now have to get permits, licenses and pay fees to them to exercise our liberties and to pursue our happiness.
We as a people are less free today than at any point in our history and progressivism is the reason. (Progressivism does not move forward, it is regressive and moves society backward to the days of tyrants and are already well on their way in transforming our government and our laws from one established for the protection of our unalienable rights and liberties as boldly expressed in our Declaration of Independence to one that grants and resends rights and liberties through absurd laws and regulations). Government is rapidly becoming the enemy of our liberties not the protector of them. Progressives seek strong men or dictators, conservatives seek leaders.
Progressives have successfully transformed the once proud Democrat Party from one that represented the interests of the poor and the working people of this country to one that represents the interests of government and those within it. This is a position of real power and if not checked will not be stopped. As government grows their power grows. They have so transformed the party to where there is no longer anything democratic about it.
Conservatism is rooted in the truths espoused in our Declaration of Independence and is the only antidote to progressivism. (Progressives are fighting for the soul of our country from a position of power from the national platform they now enjoy with the seizing of control of the Democrat Party). Unfortunately to the detriment of our American way of life the Republican Party remains ignorant of this fact and is fighting from a position of weakness.
The powers that be in Republican Party either do not understand the fight they are in or they are willing accomplices. Progressives play for keeps and they never give ground. Conservatives see this and thus the Tea Party was formed. In order to fight the progressives, conservatives understand that a national platform and the power it wields is needed to affectively fight. Conservatives must accomplish in the Republican Party what the progressives have done in the Democrat Party in much less time if we are to have a chance in this fight. Conservatives are the majority in this country and as a majority have tremendous power. They have to assert that power in the Republican Party and lead it if we and America are to survive.
Progressives are close to their objective and they know it. Their actions and intents are bold and open for all to see. Their progressive policies of open borders, redistribution of wealth, social justice, political correctness, etc. in a very short time will give them their ultimate goal of being the permanent political party by creating a permanent electoral majority. When this happens, the Republican Party and all others will be irrelevant. There will only be a Democrat Party and it will not govern us, it will rule over us.
In 1776 when our fore fathers fought for freedom from a tyrant, Thomas Paine wrote in (The Crisis), “THESE are times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value. Heaven knows how to put proper price upon goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”. These words are as true and valid today as they were when they were penned. Are we going to shrink from the service of our country or are we going to fight for the freedoms that are our birthright? Do we stand and defend that which our parents and grandparents did for us or are we to forfeit that birthright and condemn our children and grandchildren to the servitude of an oligarchy disguised as elected representation.
This election I feel is our last chance to peacefully save our Constitution and the Republic it represents at the ballot box. Once the progressives obtain their objective of an electoral majority, only force will remove them.
The Stakes are high this November. Choose wisely, our children are looking to us to save their futures as we looked to our parents to protect ours.